Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Friday, December 15, 2006

Back from Grand Junction

I'm back from Grand Junction. I spent the last two days (wed, thurs) at a seminar given by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) on Contract Administration. Some of our jobs next year have been awarded federal grants, so additional contract items are required. It was two very long days.

Grand Junction is a lot like Paducah back home. It may not be as spread out and trees are very limited, but it has the same "feel". There is a big area with a mall and lots of surrounding stores that Heather would like. I went into the Sportsman's Warehouse on Wednesday night. I had never been into one before, and I like it better than Gander Mountain or Bass Pro. They have everything there and the Mule Deer, Elk, and Mountain Lion mounts are everywhere. I bought a couple Judo Points that can't be found locally around Avon.

We got out early Thursday, so I drove back in the daylight. I had drove there in the dark so I couldn't tell what any of the surrounding country looked like. It is completely different scenery than around Avon. I watched for turkeys along the Colorado River, which had the only trees for roosting surrounded by fields. I didn't see any, but a friend at church says he knows some landowners in the area with turkeys and we will maybe knock on a few doors for hunting permission next season. The cottonwoods along the river reminded me of my hunt in SD a few years back, except for the additional surrounding mountains. If I'm lucky I'll hunt the cottonwood riverbottoms with an unlimited tag and draw a limited tag for the mountains closer to Avon. I look forward to hunting turkeys as a resident and killing another Merriam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you find some good Merriam hunting along the riverbottoms. I figure the Colorado river is probalbe a little bigger than the river you hunted by in SD. P.S. Check and see if bearded hens are leagel in Colorado.