Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Friday, January 12, 2007

Skiing today!

I went skiing today for about an hour and a half with two friends from work, Eric and Paul. Eric is the head of Community Development and Paul works with the Building Inspectors. If we don't abuse it they allow the occasional break to run up the mountain and "make a few turns", especially on a "powder day" like today (It had snowed about 4" or so on top). To sound like a local you have to learn to use the appropriate skier phrases or learn to speak Spanish.

Eric and Paul are both Snowboarders and have both been doing it for a while, so they took me down a couple runs that were much steeper than anything I have been on before. And one of them was about half Moguls. I have never skied in powder before. I found out a couple things: Fresh powder, especially untracked powder, is fantastic to ski in; Balance feels a little different in powder vs. a groomed run; Powder seemed to be more physically exhausting; making a whole lot of turns on a steep slope is physically exhausting, but better than racing to my death; I don't like moguls; I'm out of shape; I need to make it a point to make it out on "powder days" every chance I get.

Although I did some runs that I wouldn't have done had I been alone, I did not fall. Eric and Paul both insisted that by skiing with skiers/boarders that are above my own level, I will be pushed to improve instead of staying at one level. I wonder if Eric thought that last year when he went out w/ Jeff and cracked a rib by hitting a tree? From what I've been told, Jeff and a couple of the other guys at work are fantastic skiers. Jeff is the other engineer I work with.

It started snowing here again this evening. We went to City Market and WalMart when it first started and I bet it snowed almost 2" in the next 1.5 hrs. It is 11:30 now and I believe it has almost quit. From the window it looks like it snowed about 3" or so, but our forecast shows snow until Sunday.

Heather is going to a ladies ministry meeting in the morning. Heather is helping set up a waffle bar. Olivia and Boyd are going with her because they have child care. After dropping them off, Isaac and I are headed to Glenwood Springs and maybe Rifle to buy the fishing equipment I mentioned before. After the fun today and knowing tomorrow will be lots more powder, it is tempting to head to the lift and go skiing. May give skiing another shot Sunday afternoon since Heather doesn't have to work. I don't' have to work Monday either so we may give it a try that afternoon.

No comments: