Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Thursday, January 4, 2007

New Years

We went skiing in the afternoon on New Years Day. Heather worked in the morning so we were on the mountain from about 12:30 to 4:00. Boyd hasn't quite got the lift down yet since his last lesson was the first time on the lift for him. We stayed on the little lift with Boyd and Olivia. I rode with Boyd, Heather rode with Olivia and Isaac either rode alone or with whoever was in line.

Sometimes the lift operators aren't good about slowing the lift down when they need to. Boyd isn't quite tall enough even on the little lift to get set down as fast as he needs to, so he fell trying to get on once and they had to stop the lift. I tried to pull him on but had to let him go to keep from hurting him. I bailed off so I could get back too him. He cried because it scared him, but he was ok. They are suited up like football players, so it would take a pretty big spill to hurt them. I think it scared the lift operators more than it did me. We made it on without incident after that episode and they did a better job of helping him after that.

The kids are doing great skiing. The ski school really helps them learn how to ski.

We had rode the bus up with a friend of mine from work and his son who goes to school with Isaac. We hadn't planned on meeting but it just worked out that we were there at the same time. They met us on the lower slope and skied with us some. Actually, they have snowboards so we were skiing and they were boarding. While Heather, Boyd and Olivia took a break, Isaac, Myself, Eric and his son Ashton took the bigger lift to the top and came down some of the bigger slopes. We took them on a blue run that Isaac had never been on, and he did really well. Isaac will be a really good skier if he sticks with the skis instead of switching to a "slowboard".

I did take a few pictures while we were out, but this site is acting crazy when I'm on my computer at home and I'm having trouble logging on to load the pictures. I'll get some up soon though.

We may make it out skiing again Saturday, but I did get a tip on some fantastic ice fishing for bluegill, crappie, and yellow perch about an hour and a half from here. I've never done any icefishing, so that sounds like a lot of fun that all of us could try. Maybe I'll buy some equipment so we can try it and make Uncle Fleetwood proud. Nothing tastes much better than fresh crappie.

1 comment:

Jasson Reichert said...

Shane,
Sounds like the slopes are a popular place for you guys when ther is time off. I've never ice fished but that sounds like fun for the whole crew as long as its not like most of my fishing trips, with more bug bites than fish bites.
Gotta give the kid a bath and get her to bed.
Jasson