Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Friday, February 23, 2007

Snow for the Weekend

The forecast shows snow getting here late this afternoon. We are supposed to get 2 - 4" tonight and 1-3" tomorrow. Heather and the girls are already having second thoughts on their snowshoeing tomorrow. Whimps!!

If they don't go, I'm going to make Heather and the kids go skiing tomorrow. I won't have to twist any of the kids' arms, but Heather may want to whimp out on that too. I could just go ice fishing again.

As usual, I'm trying to work out a turkey hunt other than the one at home and here in CO. Nebraska has quite a bit of public land in the northwest corner of the state called the Pine Ridge area. It is full of Merriam turkeys and the archery season opens on March 25th. I may go scout the weekend of the 17th and hunt two or three of the weekends before we fly home to IL.

The terrain there is rolling hills with ponderosa pine, unlike the Nebraska most people think about. There is a lot of open country mixed in the rolling terrain. Hunting would be mostly from a blind w/ decoys. My blind is fairly quick to set up so I could still be fairly mobile. I've never hunted turkeys with a bow so that would be a first.

I'm currently trying to sell a bow on ebay and will probably add my bow on there as well. That will still leave me one that is left over from the shop, but I hope to get enough from the two I'm selling to mostly pay for a new bow. I don't really know what brought it on, but I have the itch to buy a new bow. I'm considering a Diamond or Bowtech. Hoyt and Mathews will also be in the running, but until I get the chance to shoot each of them I won't know. I will admit that I imediately lean away from Mathews because so many people think they are the only manufacturer. I don't care for taking everyone's word for what is the best.

No comments: