Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Summer in the mountains





Heather just called and it is snowing in Leadville. Probably not sticking, but snowing. Other than the snow today, the weather has been nice. We have to run the heat at night but it hasn't been kicking on during the day. The house is still a wreck, but we are gaining ground on it. I started hanging new kitchen wall cabinets last night and will continue tonight. I
may drive to the Lowes in Glenwood Springs this evening to pick up a new gas range. We pulled the old range out and set it in the back yard to haul off. I have as much to haul off as we hauled in. I hope to have the inside mostly in order by the end of this weekend, so I can start making a few outside improvements to the yard, fence and house exterior. There is a lot of work to do.
The first two photos were taken from our front yard looking over the top of the neighbor houses at Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive. They are both hiding in the clouds. Both are over 14,000 ft elevation, with Elbert being the tallest. Mt. Massive however, has the largest area above 14,000 ft of any 14er in the state. The last photo was taken Monday from HWY 24 just before reaching Leadville. The two previous mountains would have been to our right. The picture does not do the rainbow justice.


We went to the Edwards skate park on Sunday, while Heather had a church meeting. The third and fourth photos were snapped at the park. The kids love the skate park, and I believe Isaac will eventually be a really good boarder. Boyd will likely be right behind him. Olivia may be a little timid for it, but she may suprise us all.
David and Gretel will be flying out to visit on July 6 and staying about a week. Heather and the kids along with David and Gretel will then drive back to IL for a couple week visit. After her visit, David and Gretel will drive back with her then fly back home.
Now onto more important information. I have drawn several tags for next season. The following are what I've drawn so far:
Late Season Rifle Cow Tag - Dec. 1-Jan. 14
Archery Deer Tag - Aug. 25 - Sept. 23
Bighorn Ewe Tag - Oct. 2 - 11
I will also buy an archery elk tag that runs concurrently with the Archery Deer. I am also waiting to see if I drew a Muzzleloader Antelope tag for late October. I have yet to shoot my knew bow since I brought it home and I have a lot of scouting I need to do. I may need to quit my job.

No comments: