Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

2007 Hunting Prospects

I have gotten all results in on the 2007 Big Game Seasons. The following tags have been drawn or will be purchased over the counter:

DEER - Either Sex Unit 44 Archery (Aug. 25 - Sept. 23)
ELK - Over the Counter Either Sex Archery(Aug. 25 - Sept. 23)
BIGHORN SHEEP - Ewe Unit S32 Rifle (Oct. 2 - Oct. 11)
ANTELOPE - Doe Units 6, 16, 17, 161 Muzzleloader (Oct. 21 - Oct. 27)
ELK - Unit 35, 36 Late Season Cow Tag Rifle (Dec. 1 - Jan. 14)


I also plan to buy an archery Bear tag, but they are first come first serve with a cap and go on sale July 9 at 9 am. I have a sticky note on my computer at work, so I dont' forget to call at 9 on the dot. The season runs from Sept. 1 until the end of archery elk and deer, so it will be a "just in case" tag. Never know when an opportunity may present itself.

I'm unsure about getting to hunt with the antelope tag, due to the possibility of taking the PE in October, but I thought I would get it just in case and dad will be bringing me a muzzleloader when they visit in September. I will be hunting with my bow during the Bighorn Sheep Ewe hunt, but will cary a rifle for the late season cow elk hunt. If I dont' fill a freezer this year, I'm going to be disappointed. Eric says I must have a very understanding wife. He's right! How else would I have gotten to move to the mountains of Colorado.

If Mom and Dad come out during the deer and elk muzzleloader season, I hope to talk dad into letting me buy him a leftover deer or cow elk tag. I'm not sure what tags will be available, but I can find something for sure. I'll then have to find a waterhole or something for him to take a stand at that isn't too far from the trail/road.

The kids are almost done with school (June 15th). They had to go late this year due to starting late at the Charter School. They will change schools next year and attend a couple blocks from our house in Leadville, so getting them to school will be much easier. I got the cabinets all in on Monday and now need to install the countertop and kitchen sink. The bathroom work will be soon to follow along with new baseboards.

We may go to the "Frisco Barbecue Challenge" on Friday night and see how CO barbecue events compare to Paducah's "Barbecue On The River". It's unlikely there will be better barbecue there, but I've never met a rack of pork ribs I couldn't make close friends with. So if we go, I plan to be good and sticky by the time we leave.

No comments: