Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Monday, March 5, 2007

Warming Up

The temps are climbing here. The highs this week will be around 46 everyday w/ a chance for snow thursday night. It seems like unseasonably warm temps, but I think it is standard for this time of year here. I'm sure we will see plenty more snow and cold temps though. The sun is so intense here that 46 is really warm.

Heather and I drove to Glenwood Springs last Saturday. We went to a "Mountain Sports" store where she gets a discount for being a Vail Resorts employee. Heather bought a pair of Snowshoes that were already on sale at 20% off. She got an additional 20% off so she got a good price. I plan to buy a pair myself, but they didn't have what I wanted.

We saw quite a bit of wildlife on the drive down. We saw several mulies, a couple herds of elk and one small band of sheep in the Glenwood canyon. A couple of the sheep were rams, but I didn't get a very good look at them. Sunday there was actually two cow elk behind our apartment on the face of almost a cliff. I was shocked to see them there. I watched them through my binocs for a little while. I can't wait for bow season.

Heather and I also went skiing today when she got off work and during my long lunch break. I drove up and parked in the parking garage. Parking is free for less than 2 hrs. We skied a couple runs. I wore too much clothing and was sweating when I wasn't moving down the mountain. The weather, even though warm, is still fantastic. I'm just not ready for the warm weather quite yet.

Our trip home isn't too far off. We are all looking forward to the visit and I can't wait to listen to the turkeys gobble. Heather is worried I'm going to upset someone by spending all my time hunting, but I think most of the people who want to see me will be hunting with me. I think most of the family is probably most interested in seeing the kids, so I don't think I'll upset anyone.

I talked with another hunter at church yesterday who has lived here for a little more than 10 years and knows a little about the turkeys. He mostly hunts private land in NE, but has hunted them here before also. Since I'm going, he plans to hunt them also. We will probably go out in a few weeks and do some scouting in areas that he is familiar with.

I may take the kids fishing again this weekend while Heather finally goes snowshoeing with the girls from church. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post this weekend.

No comments: