Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Spring Break Trip to IL

Well we've decided to come home to visit over Spring Break again this year. We were going to wait until June and go to California over Spring Break, but the CA trip was going to cost too much. Heather may still come in during the summer, but I will not have the vacation time.

We will probably start driving on the evening of Wednesday, March 26th and get there the evening of Thursday, March 27th. If I was brave enough to drive all the way through, we could get there Thursday morning. We will head back to CO on Saturday, April 5.

Of course I've already cooked up some turkey hunting plans. Sean's boys will have youth permits for the 29th and 30th, so we'll try to get them both a bird that weekend. Also, Isaac and myself will probably skip out from IL for a few days to hunt in AL where he can try to kill his first bird, and I'll be backup. :-) I've talked to a few others about going and sounds like a couple are in, if everything works out. If I haven't talked with you and you want to go, just let me know. Anyone will be welcome. A 3 day lic. will be $120 and a WMA permit is $16. Other expenses would be food, and depending on how many of us go, fuel and hotel.

We will be hunting Northern Alabama in the Bankhead NF. The Black Warrior WMA is within the NF and can only be hunted until noon, but the rest of the NF can be hunted all day. The terrain is steep rugged hills w/ hardwoods and pines. We (Dad, Sean, Kenneth, Sonny and myself) hunted it in 94 and there were birds everywhere. In 97 Sonny and I went back and didn't hear much of anything, but the weather was cool and rainy. It will be like any other DIY public land hunt, a hunt, not a guarantee.

No comments: