Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Friday, September 7, 2007

Hunted Thursday Evening

I managed to get out just early enough to hunt for a couple hours yesterday evening. I hunted close to town. The hike to the area I hunted was only a mile or so, with only a steady verticle climb. I just quitely still hunted through some heavy timber hoping to see elk or deer or bear, I wasn't picky about which.

I managed to see a small herd of elk. I only made out three of them, one 4 or 5 point bull, a calf and a larger elk that I'm sure had to be a bull also. Considering the calf, there had to be at least one more cow around somewhere. I had enough time for them to come to the call, so I made several cow calls. The bull stood there on the slope looking my way, but refused to budge or make a sound. I snuck out without spooking them in hopes that they would be in the same area this evening. If I can get out a little early, I think I can set up and wait for them to feed through the same area. Who knows with elk though, they may be miles from there tonight. I did see a few deer tracks and some bear scat, so if the elk aren't around, maybe one of them will show up. I may still be a little picky with the deer I would try for, but an elk just needs to be legal.

I would really like to get lucky before the muzzleloader starts this weekend. It would also allow me to concentrate on Dad killing a cow when he gets here next week.

No comments: