Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bowhunting Again!

Season finally arrived last Saturday. I picked Joe and Michael up in Denver on Thursday night and we camped Friday and Saturday night. We had a good first day and I almost got a shot at a 4 point bull, but 70 yards was the best shot he offered. In all we saw a group of five bulls, called in one spike and managed to get in front of the four point. We also saw two other elk and a nice bear. The bear was in a really good position for a stalk, so it was too bad season doesn't start until the 2nd. Our choice of routes back up the mountain was a very poor one and we didn't make it back to camp until 11:00pm. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided to climb out that way, but during the climb I was thinking I was going to have to tell Nancy how I killed Joe climbing a mountain. We slept in Sunday morning and hunted Sunday afternoon with no sightings.

Joe has hunted a few more times since the weekend and found some good sign, but no elk. Joe has ended up with a nasty sounding cold and it isn't helping his strength to climb these mountains. They did however catch a limit of trout on Monday out of a State Pond and we took the kids back on Tuesday evening. They all caught some fish and had a good time. Joe and Michael are fishing a bigger lake this morning in hopes of catching some larger fish. We plan to cook the fish when Nancy and Kelsie get here.

Nancy and Kelsie will be flying into Denver tonight and Joe, Michael and myself will be driving to pick them up. We plan to leave early and stop in Georgetown to glass for sheep in my sheep unit.

I'll be hunting the same unit as Saturday again during this long weekend and hope to bring something out of the woods besides sore feet. I'll post some pictures soon.

No comments: