Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Grand Junction last weekend

We all went to Grand Junction last Friday and stayed in a hotel. Myself and Isaac got up early and drove around looking at areas that the DOW suggested for turkey hunting. We walked a short distance up a trail and I thought I heard a gobble. After walking the trail we drove up the road a short distance and I spotted two turkeys in a field on private land that was posted with "NO HUNTING" signs about every 100'. I'm pretty sure that was probably where the gobble I heard came from. We drove to another area that was also suggested by the DOW and came to a huge valley of private ranches along a river bottom with big Cottonwood trees. We saw two big flocks of Merriam turkeys, but they were on big private ranches along a Cottonwood river bottom. I'm sure the first couple birds I saw visit the public land, but the big flocks have quite a bit of private land to stay on and I wasn't quite to the public land that was suggested by the DOW.

Our scouting from the road took up the entire morning so we headed back to get Heather, Olivia and Boyd. They had spent the morning swimming in the hotel's pool. We then went to do some shopping. Heather was looking for clothes and I was looking for a new bow.

I shot the new Bowtech Guardian and Diamond Black Ice at Sportsman's Warehouse. I also shot the Hoyt Vectrix and the Mathews Drenalin and XT at Red Rock Archery. I liked them all, but I think my top choices are the Bowtech and Diamond. I'll shoot them again before I decide which to buy. I may even shoot them when we come home next week to visit.

I will be scouting again this Saturday, so I hope to find some more turkeys on public land. I'll try and get more pictures up from last weekend and from this weekends scouting as soon as possible.

No comments: