Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Monday, June 23, 2008

Baseball

This is the best photo. Actually looks like he knows what he's doing.
This is one of his "change ups". Actually, this is what I talk about below. He doesn't lob it like that when I practice with him.

Baseball will be over at the end of the week. Isaac is not old enough to play in the All-Stars. He needed to turn 9 before May 1 and his birthday is May 18. Other than that minor detail, he would have been playing. We want to get out and do some camping, fishing and scouting for deer and elk anyway.


I've included a few photos of Isaac pitching. He was able to pitch in two games. He pitches pretty good to me, but he changes everything when a batter gets up to bat. I think he is afraid of hitting them. Maybe he'll get over that and be a pitcher, but I expect he'll be an infielder. Him and maybe two other kids on the team are the only players that have any clue what they are doing. Some of these kids just quit T-ball and still want to run with the ball. Drives me crazy. Coach Drew taught him quite a bit back in IL.
On another note, there is still a lot of snow up high, but Isaac and I will be getting out looking for elk and deer. I kept an eye on several of the herds as they followed the snow line up, but other than the big group of "calving" cows, the herds are mostly out of sight. I did see a few bulls outside of town a little while ago, but they are in a limited unit that I can't hunt. I've got some plans on where to look in one of the closer unlimited units.
I desperately want to find elk, but finding a big Mule Deer buck above treeline is one of my goals. I guess big may be relative to the fact that I've never killed a Muley. But, I have no intentions of packing a little buck or doe for a long distance.
Also, if you did not know, we are supposed to close on our house in IL on June 30th. The buyers are from Ledbetter, KY and lost their house to the state due to the new hwy and bridge.




No comments: