Elk Hunting Above Treeline

Elk Hunting Above Treeline
12,000 ft at Dusk

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Turkey Scouting





Olivia and I went scouting on Saturday. The Garfield Creek SWA where I had taken pictures before had a few turkeys on it this time. The first group was a big strutting tom and three or four hens. The second group was four jakes with one of them strutting and gobbling. I got pictures of the jakes, but they aren't anything more than black spots. I did blow up one of the pics so that the strutting bird could be seen.


We also found the skeleton of a deer that Olivia thought was great, so I took her picture next to it. We drove quite a bit and I found some other areas that look promising. I would love a shot at the big tom I saw strutting, but by the time I get home from IL, they will have been hunted for a couple weekends. I saw one other guy checking things out and the area didn't have a lot of area for turkeys to hide, so I'm sure he will at the very least be pressured by the time I give him a try.


Speaking of IL, we will be driving to Denver tomorrow to spend the night then we will fly out Thursday morning to Nashville. We should be in Brookport by 6pm and I will be hunting by Friday morning with someone.

No comments: